TOTTENHAM V BARCELONA – WEMBLEY STADIUM AT 20:00 (UTC/GMT)
The match between Tottenham Hotspurs and FC Barcelona is one that is going to be crucial in determining which team can advance a foothold in this season’s Champions League. Following the loss against Inter, the Spurs must swiftly recover having a started the Group B fixtures with a defeat. And they might face a more intimidating duel against Barcelona. However, they can bounce back if they are able to unseat Barcelona.
On the other hand, Barca is expected to put the Spurs on the sides following their win against PSV. Barcelona is not running in great form at the moment, being winless in three of their last games. They need to be quick and accurate with their performance to defeat the Spurs. Moreover, with Lionel Messi declaring the Champions League as his priority, we can expect quite a performance from him and follow up his match-winning hat trick with more magic in this match.
The two teams only previous meetings were during the `981-98 European Cup Winners Cup semi-finals. Mauricio Pochettino’s Spurs won all three of their home games in last season’s group stage fixtures against Dortmund, Real Madrid, and APOEL, while Barca has won only one of their three away games during last season’s group stage.
Two top-ranked teams will have their face-off as the UEFA Champions League Group B continues. Catch one of the most anticipated the duel between England’s Tottenham Hotspur versus the La Liga giants, FC Barcelona at the Wembley Stadium in London on October 3, 20:00 (UTC/GMT).
– The next match will be Hugo Lloris’ 50го appearance for the UEFA Champions League, however, it was reported that he was ruled out for ‘several weeks’ due to a thigh injury.
– The Spurs has a record of only two clean sheets in nine matches in all competitions this season; during a 3-0 victory against Manchester United and a 2-0 win against Huddersfield.
– Harry Kane scored both match-winning goals at Huddersfield. He also has a record of five goals in his first seven Premier League fixtures this season.
– Moussa Sissoko and Dele Alli both returned from hamstring injuries against Watford.
– Jan Vertonghen and Mousa Dembele had to be replaced during last Saturday’s game because of injuries.
– Serge Aurier also suffered a thigh injury during the match against Watford, a match Christian Eriksen missed due to an abdominal problem.
– The match against the Spurs will be Gerard Pique’s 100го appearance for the UEFA Champions League, becoming the tenth Spaniard to reach this mark.
– The Barcas claimed a 2-1 victory against Sevilla in the Spanish Super Cup in August with Pigue and Ousmane Dembele scoring the goals.
– Dembele has scored three goals in the La Liga this season, matching his total goals throughout last campaign’s competitions.
– Lionel Messi already has ten goals in his last 11 La Liga fixtures, and five in seven matches this Champions League.
The Spurs’ Pochettino might be forced to make changes with Eriksen, Dembele, and Vertonghen facing late fitness tests. Moura, Son, and Lamela are expected to line up behind Harry Kane and will carry Spurs’ creative workload if ever Christian Eriksen misses out. Although if Eriksen starts the game, Son might be dropped out with Lamela on the wing.
Valverde has been trying quite a few formations this season. Coutinho might operate in the left half space, depending on whether Vidal pushes up to initiate the press through the middle. Messi would provide the width on the right and join Suarez as a second striker to counter the opponents’ attacks.
PROBABLE STARTING XI
Tottenham: Paulo Gazzaniga, Kieran Trippier, Jan Vertonghen, Toby Alderweireld, Ben Davies, Mousa Dembele, Eric Dier, Lucas Moura, Christian Eriksen, Erik Lamela, Harry Kane
Barcelona: Marc-Andre ter Stegen, Nelson Semedo, Gerard Pique, Clement Lenglet, Jordi Alba, Sergio Busquets, Philippe Coutinho, Ivan Rakitic, Arturo Vidal, Lionel Messi, Luis Suarez
Harry Kane plays as a Striker for the Spurs and captains the English national team. Last year, he broke the record for being Europe’s top goal scorer as Tottenham secure a place in the top four at last season’s Premier League.
Kieran Trippier was among the top performers during the 2018 World Cup. He plays as a right-back for the Spurs and the English national Team. He is regarded as England’s most impressive player and the third Englishman to score in a World Cup semi-final when he struck a free-kick to defeat Croatia.
Lionel Messi is an Argentinian player who plays as a Forward and captains both Barcelona and the Argentinian national team. He is regarded as one of the greatest football player of all time, being La Liga’s consistently top performer.
Gerard Pique plays as Defender or Centre-back for Barcelona. He retired from the Spanish national team to focus more on the club. However, during his time in the national team, he gathered a total of 102 caps, a career-high that parallels with the most successful period in La Roja history.
Tottenham v Barcelona: 1-2
Both teams have plenty of chances to score. However, the stakes are high for the Barcas despite their unconvincing start to the season. A victory is necessary for Barcelona to prevent an early elimination. On the other hand, the Spurs still have a lot to prove following their success against big teams in last season’s Champions League. This game is going to be full of surprises and will definitely not disappoint.
MATCH BETTING ODDS:*Prices are correct at the time of writing.
Two promising teams. Who will come out unscathed? Is a draw on the cards? Stay tuned for more match betting odds on Eastbridge sports betting broker.